godaddy counter
Sign Shop History | Harrell Sign Co Raleigh NC | Constant Quality Since 1927 | Old Raleigh Business Signs
Stacks Image 260
Stacks Image 268
Stacks Image 266

Harrell Sign Company was founded in 1927 and opened its first sign shop at 115½ Fayetteville Street in Raleigh, North Carolina. The company moved to 13 South Wilmington Street around 1930 and to 312 South Blount Street in 1939.

The first three locations kept the business in the center of downtown Raleigh. In 1947, a new facility was constructed in the "country" to allow room for growth. That move to the outskirts of town now finds Harrell Sign Company, Inc. in the heart of Raleigh's
Five Points area, a convenient location to all parts of Raleigh and Central North Carolina.

The business remains in the Harrell family to this day, having been operated by George Vernon "Happy" Harrell, by his son George Vernon Harrell, Jr., and now by Grandson Robert Vernon (Bob) Harrell.


Please click here to see some other pictures from our past. There are many old pictures of Raleigh, especially the downtown area, including neon and painted signs for many old Raleigh businesses.


Links to other Raleigh, NC history websites:
City of Raleigh Museum
NC History Project
National Park Service Guide
Goodnight Raleigh

North Carolina Cities Served

Raleigh • Cary • Wake Forest • Garner • Apex • Morrisville • Durham • RTP • Chapel Hill
Raleigh-Durham • Wilson • Goldsboro • Fayetteville • Rocky Mount • Jacksonville • New Bern • Wilmington
Sanford • Burlington • Greensboro • High Point • Winston Salem
…and all points between!

© 2017 Harrell Sign Co., Inc. • 512 Pershing Road • Raleigh, NC 27608 • (919) 832-6878